Sunday, September 7, 2008

"My Soul delighteth in the covenants of the Lord"

2 Nephi 11:5
On Aug. 29th Ryan was baptized at the chapel in Atwater. I'm sorry for any of you that weren't informed and would've liked to come. It was sort of a rushed deal because I wanted the ceremony to be close to Ryan's birthday but we were supposed to be moving into our new house
that weekend (which didn't and still hasn't happened). So at the last minute we decided to have it on a Fri. night. Jeff was right, that wasn't my best idea, and things were rushed and kind of harried because Jeff and I had to work on Fri. but everything turned out great. Everyone in my ward was so very helpful in pulling everything together for me. Our opening song was Dearest Children, God is Near You. I love that hymn. I am always so touched by music and hearing everyone singing that song, I felt the Spirit there with us. I know that children have a special place with the Lord. I wish that Ryan can always remember the things that he felt and has learned for when his trials come. I know that things will get increasingly difficult as he gets older and he will have many trials and I know that I can't walk him through everything and I just have to rely on what I have taught him as a child. But it just seems that if he could remember how special this day was for him that he would never have to fall away as I did. Ryan strives to please us, he tries to make his family and his friends happy. And I hope that in the future he will continue this path in trying to please his Heavenly Father as well.
My dad came up from Ridgecrest and performed the baptism and there were about 35 people that attended. Even some of our non-member friends came and were touched by the things they learned.
I gave a short talk about Baptism and how important it is. And surprisingly enough I didn't cry (surprising because I cry at everything, Jeff likes to tell this little joke about I cry so much I even cry at ward business). I got a little choked up but I thought of my visiting teacher/primary president, she is always able to swallow down the tears so that she doesn't get that high pitched crying talk and I was able to pull it off. Thanks Mandy! And at the end I read this poem that I found on sugardoodle.net it was written by Marie Myer and published in the Oct 1974 Friend.

"Me, my Lord, baptize Thee?
Why comest Thou to me?"
And John the Baptist bowed his head
In deep humility.

But Jesus said with a gentle smile,
"Let your heart be still.
Suffer it to be so now,
All righteousness fulfill."

So down the Jordan's shallow bank
Christ went with humble grace.
Into the stream John lowered Him
With wonder on his face.

When from the water Jesus came,
The heavens opened above.
God's holy Spirit came to earth,
A gift of His great love.

And now, my child, your turn has come,
You have been baptized too.
The Light of Christ is in your face
For all the world to view.

It seems ridiculous that I should cry now but this has touched me so. I am so blessed to have been born into this true church and been so blessed with such a sweet spirit of a child. He is truly an angel to me. He makes his father and I so very happy and proud every day. You can see it here on Jeff's face.
After the baptism Jeff's mom gave a nice talk about the Holy Ghost. I think that Ryan was a little distracted by some of the kids but I think that he got the message. And maybe even felt the Spirit himself.
Here you can see everyone coming in to sit down. In this front row is Ryan's cousin, Isaiah. Our neighbor, Caleb - he is high energy, Isaiah's brother, Jacob, and Ryan. In the next row is Susan Hauhuth - she led the music for us, Jeff's mom, Joleen and his sister Pauleen. The row behind that is my mom, Bobbie, holding David, then Valerie (who you can't really see) and Shanna-my great stepmom. And then in the back you can see Bishop Warne in the doorway and my dad. He was meeting everyone and shaking hands, everybody liked him - of course. He's a great guy! Here he is holding David.
Sorry Dad, I'm sure this picture won't be your favorite picture - at least you are smiling, but look at David he is such a cutie. His little shirt says: Mommy's Little Hero. He was such a good baby the whole time. I don't get to love him enough. But I sure do try:
I just can not squeeze him enough. Little Blessing. He doesn't seem to mind all the hugs and kisses and he even lets me rock him to sleep when I'm with him.
After the whole thing was over - and even though there were some great refreshments served - I invited a few people over for some more of that All American Chocolate cake and Vanilla. Still good even on day two. Sorry Dad - another not your favorite, but can't you all just see how good the cake is here, course I think he likes the vanilla ice cream the best. Great demonstration for the people Dad. Thanks for everything, you are the best! I am lucky to have you for my dad, if I could've had my pick, I would've picked you. I Love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Bakah. It was a once in a life time opportunity for me. Thank you. I'll never forget it. I love the picks. Chocolate cake was good, but everything goes better with vanilla ice cream. Thanks for the kind words. A dad could not ask for a daughter better than you. The same with all my children. All I can do is feel sorry for the rest of the world because I have the best. I love you very much.
dad

Anonymous said...

Deep Field Hubbel shot. Did you know that his image was a very complicated shot. Several hours of several different exposures take in the darkest spot Huble could be pointed at. 1500+ new galaxies were discovered. Hard to imagine the reaches of the universe. To think a loving Father in Heaven is in control of it all, is not hard to imagine and comforting to me.
dad

Patti said...

Bekah, you have to give out a crying alert for me because if I'm reading this at work, I have to be careful I'm not sitting here in a puddle of tears with a red nose! I love you!

Bekah said...

Ok, Aunt Patti, from now on I will put "crying" in the labels if I think that it might be a tear-jerker. That's a good idea. Glad you like the post.