Thursday, September 25, 2008

Green Thumb

I've always had mostly just a yellow thumb. But on our front porch (we haven't moved to our new house yet, maybe today 9/26)) there is a large hanging white planter. When we first moved there a few years ago it was mostly just a litter box (that's what it smelled like anyways) but over the last 600 days I have turned it into this:

I call it my science project. All these plants are things that I have broken off of the neighbors plants and bushes. The two wild ones on the end are ground covers that I haven't transplanted yet.
There are only a few that I know the name of, there's zebrina pendula (wandering jew), and geranium (that I broke off from my friend's yard before she moved to Wisconsin) and a pink polka-dot plant, and I think that's all I know. I really like this one, it is a succulent of some kind and it looks like a little rose. You can take off just a "leaf" and stick it back in the dirt and it will grow.
There were some strawberries but they died and there was also some Moon Flower (which is beautiful) but it died too. The only other thing I have managed to keep alive is this:
My sister gave me this gorgeous hibiscus for my graduation last year and I transplanted it into the yard. Then the winter was very harsh on my little tree and I thought maybe it wasn't going to make it but it turned out it just wasn't hot enough yet. So it finally started blooming and usually it only gets one bloom at a time, probably because it is so little but this day it got two! How pretty is that. Thanks sister.

Now I'm not professing a green thumb here at all, plants that will grow from a broken branch stuck back in the dirt don't usually die very easy, but I hope this is a sign of beautiful things to come from my new garden at our new house.






2 comments:

April said...

oh I love succulents! I'm impressed - I would never know what to do with a branch broken off of another one! That looks great! Half the stuff we planted in our yard died over the winter.
Thanks for saying hi :)

Amy said...

I'm totally impressed -- I had a little pot of flowers this summer and then I watered them for a while and then they all died. Mostly because I went on vacation for three weeks - but still. So sad. That hibiscus is so gorgeous!!!