Sunday, September 7, 2008

It's Great to be 8!


Well, Ryan turned 8 on Aug. 28th. Which coincidentally is one day before my cousin's oldest daughter, Nora, turned 4! Happy late birthday cute girl.
Ryan was excited to turn 8. We had some big plans for the weekend with his birthday party and baptism (I'll blog about that soon (I hope)), so we just had a tiny celebration on his day.
So for Thurs, he got a party at school, I took Capri-suns and Rice Krispy treats for the class. But I had to buy the treats because you are not allowed to bake stuff anymore, has to be store bought. Then that night we watched a movie and he had his friend Savannah from across the street over. They played a game and then we had cake and ice cream. I got the All American Chocolate cake from Costco. It is huge! And super sweet, but mixed up with Vanilla ice cream is was so so good!
I think this is what Ryan had for dinner. That's terrible I know but in the words of Bill Cosby, let's think about what is in cake: eggs, milk, flour, wheat - that's not so bad.
He said it better:
"The first one down was the four-year-old. The child looked lovely. Cute little face, clean. Hair in little braids, little things, you know. "Good morn', Daddy." And I said, "WHAT DO YOU WANT for breakfast!?" The four-year-old has the ability to see through and find the wrong thing. The child saw through my body what was behind me. She saw the chocolate cake. She said, "Can I have the chocolate cake?" And I said, "Chocolate cake, where?" She said, "Chocolate cake behind you." And I looked... and there was chocolate cake! The child wanted chocolate cake for breakfast! How ridiculous! And I said... and someone in my brain looked under chocolate cake and saw the ingredients: eggs! Eggs are in chocolate cake! And milk! Oh GOODY! And WHEAT! THAT'S nutrition! "What do you want?" "Can I have some chocolate cake?" "CHOCOLATE CAKE COMING UP!" [imitates slicing sound] Sliced it for her and served it. "Now, you need something to drink with the chocolate cake, something breakfast... grapefruit juice!" So I give the child a glass of grapefruit juice and chocolate cake --- nutrition. Eggs, milk, and wheat in the chocolate cake. And...I didn't have to cook. And the other four came downstairs. And when they came downstairs... Those of you who have children, you've seen them come downstairs for school. [imitating sluggish children] And they got to the kitchen. [imitating sluggish children] They saw the four-year-old eating chocolate cake. And they said, "DAD! Where did she get the chocolate cake?" And they went to the child and said, "How did you get chocolate cake?" She said, "Dad give me chocolate cake!" And they looked at me and said, "Father...could we have chocolate cake?" And their father said, "CHOCOLATE CAKE COMING UP!!" Four slices --- [imitates slicing sound] --- and grapefruit juice! And five children sat at breakfast and the morning music was playing [imitating bass guitar] and they were eating chocolate cake and singing songs to me: "Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake!" And we had a BALL!
My sister and I had this album when we were younger called Bill Cosby: Himself and we used to laugh and laugh about this.

We let Ryan open his present from us in the morning when he woke up. He couldn't wait, he had been asking us for two days if he could open it. Then after he decided we were not going to change our minds he started asking for hints to what it was. Jeff let him shake it and he guessed right away it was Legos. He gets that from me. Ryan slept in our room on the floor the night before so that he could sleep next to his present and open it first thing before he even got out of bed. And he woke up early too. This little Lego "toy" has about a gazillion pieces and is completely programmable. It has sensors for all of our typical senses, sight, sound, touch, etc. It can walk and jump. It can hook up to the PC and you can program it to do lots of stuff. Amazing. I don't know who wanted it more, Jeff or Ryan. They have lots of fun building it though.
I think that Ryan had a great 8 birthday.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I totally thought of Bill Cosby as soon as I saw Ryan's little chocolatey face!

Happy Birthday and Happy Baptism!